Only 15 km from the campsite, discover the marine atmosphere in Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie, the famous seaside resort of the Vendée, where numerous walks, excursions, historical visits, leisure activities and water sports await you.
This lively seaside town has kept its charm despite its success and the large numbers of tourists during the summer season. Here, you will discover the beautiful maritime heritage, shipbuilding and fishing.
In low season, you will appreciate its calm and its seaside; in summer, you will appreciate its beaches and the bustling atmosphere.
Our campsite near Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie is a great location to make the most of your stay.
Did you know? Until 1967, St-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie was two communes: St-Gilles and Croix-de-Vie?
Shops and activities
For you to discover in Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie:
its pedestrianised street with its shops, charming town centre, old sardine fishing port, its marina and its local markets throughout the week.
- The casino of St-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie: open all year round, a plush and elegant atmosphere.
- The “Cinémarine”: open all year round, a multiplex with 4 air-conditioned cinemas.
- The Street Skate Park: a 1,100 m² space for skaters and skateboarders.
- The boulodrome
- The little tourist train of St-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie: guided tour of the Vendée coastline, booking essential, in July and August.
The Grande Plage
During your stay at L’Évasion campsite, discover the Grande Plage of St-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie… 3 km of pure happiness facing the ocean! Located between the fishing port of St-Gilles and Le Jaunay, this beach is the biggest and most beautiful in St-Gilles.
A pleasant pedestrian walkway runs along the beach with its many bars and restaurants… A must if you plan to visit Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie!
Located along a pedestrian promenade lined with restaurants and shops, the Grande Plage is located in the city centre so you can combine discovery of the seaside resort and the beach.
Where to shop?
Markets are held all year round:
- In Croix-de-Vie, Place Guy Kergoustin, Wednesday and Saturday mornings
- In Saint-Gilles, Place du Vieux Port et du Marché aux Herbes, on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sunday mornings.
- LECLERC shopping centre with a shopping mall with a drive-through service and a petrol station with carwash.
- Hyper U hypermarket with drive-through service and a petrol station with carwash.
- Lidl, Aldi
- Les Halles de la Vie
Visit the seaside resort
Free parking is available nearby. The beach is supervised in season and has PRM access.
A few tips: in summer the beach is full especially near the dunes and the jetty, as the middle of the beach can’t be used at high tide (see tide calendar). The south of the Grande Plage is more natural, and the further you go towards the dunes the more space you will find for your beach towel! There is also a surfing area in St-Gilles.
Going there at low tide is a good idea, as there is plenty of space to play with your children without disturbing anyone nearby.